Sunday, March 9, 2014

Date Night


Yesterday my wife and I had our first date night in over a month. Prior to our bundle joy entering our lives we had a pretty good routine – ie. weekly date nights. I’m sure we aren’t the only married couple going on dates on a weekly basis. In basic terms we had a sweet system. Movies to look forward to… Dinners to crave… Theme parks to embrace…

As I mentioned earlier, we had our date night… our first date night in way too long. But it came at a price. I honestly was avoiding it for quite some time. Unlike my wife, I can stay indoors and remain exiled from society without it bothering me one bit. As the days continued to add up, my wife pushed and pushed me until I had no other choice then commit to “Date Night”. Please don’t get me wrong, I love my wife and I’ve always enjoyed our date nights; it’s just… I wasn’t really ready to leave my daughter. She’s so little and delicate… she needs me… So my wife and I came to an agreement and decided on taking our daughter over to my parents’ house AKA (Grandparents). Prior to heading over, we stormed through the house tossing each and every belonging that our precious daughter would need: pacifiers, multiple blankets, several outfits, a dozen diapers, ointments, creams… By the time we looked at the bag it literally appeared as if we were taking a month trip abroad! Needless to say, I didn’t budge. My daughter needed her essentials. This was my first time leaving her, I needed her to have each and every item that she could possibly need.  On the way over, my wife and I constantly looked at each other and then at our daughter… was it fear in our eyes… or potentially a sign of insecurity. Was it too early to drop her of at “Grandparents house”?...

As we knocked nervously on the door of our daughters “grandparents” we weren’t really sure what to do next. Should we use the waiting time as an escape back to the house… My parents opened the door as if it was Christmas! I kid you not. My parents had the exact look as a five year old at Christmas as his running down the stairs to anticipate his presents. My dad barely glanced at me as he pulled my daughter out of my arms and into his. My mother quickly followed my dad towards the kitchen. Meanwhile, my wife and I are still at the entrance of the door holding our daughters bag of essentials. What just happened?... We entered the house and shared a few words regarding the milk we brought and the items in the bag. But in all honesty… It felt like a blurr.

My wife and I had a great time at a local oriental restaurant neighboring (Dons) the University we studied and met at. Parents can only relate to what I’m about to say. Yes the initial part of leaving my daughter was HARD! However, What came next was sweet! We felt an enormous amount of relief… No one to cry and demand our attention. No one to need our attention at each and every moment. We felt like it was our first night after getting our driver’s license! The majority of our conversation was consumed of our daughter; however, it wasn’t the usual talk of love and admiration. This time the subject highlighted “leaving her at her grandparents more often”…

Who would have imagined these words came out of my mouth

To expecting parents, let me be your vessel of direct experience. Let me be your little angel resting on your shoulder. Please, Please…I urge you give yourself breaks. Take your child to their grandparents. Don’t feel guilty. You need a break (not a 30 minute break) or a (2 hour nap). You need time off. Your parents literally turn into people you don’t even recognize. They can be life savers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your thoughts