Thursday, November 1, 2012

Are you avoiding SUGAR

One of my clients asked me what he should do to "avoid" sugar. This is how the conversation went:


Client: What should I do to "avoid" sugar?
Me: Well first you need to understand WHAT sugar is and its purpose
Client: I have always been told that sugar is bad and I should try an avoid it like salts
Me: Sugar, like salt affects us negatively in large quantities. However, we need both and should not avoid them entirely. Instead you should consume then adequately.
Client: Okay, that makes sense. So basically eat less sugar and don’t add it as much



Me: Exactly start with small changes and be able to distinguish all the foods that have large quantities of sugar.
Client: Okay, that should be easy. I guess I’ll just start to read the label more often and see how much sugar it has.
Me: That’s a good start but sugar has many “code” names. So here is a list to avoid and watch out for:

Honey, sucrose, xylose, molasses, dextrose, fructose, fruit juice concentrate, maltodextrin, maple syrup, and the big one HIGH fructose corn syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your thoughts