Monday, January 27, 2014

No Pain No Gain…?


I used to be a personal trainer and into the entire mindset of the philosophical phrase “no pain no gain”. Even after my years as trainer and I remained an avid fitness enthusiast, I continued to… push it even if it hurt. My wife and I have been together for quite some time now, and over the years we have motivated and encouraged each other through school or a few 5ks here and there. I guess in a way she has always looked at me as the “pusher” ie. her personal motivator. Well folks, I have seen something for what in the simplest terms is “scary”. No wait… undeniably scary! If you’re laughing please stop. What I saw today can only be described as “hell no” I rather take the pain then go through that. And…no I’m not talking about childbirth, even though I’m sure that it is incredibly painful. Unless you ask my wives grandmother who feels urinary tract infections are more painful. Before you smirk at her, she has had like seven children so… maybe she has a point or is cucu. Either way, respect your elders.

So what’s this “scary” thing… It’s part of our plan. During the past 8 plus months of pregnancy my wife and have had to develop a birth plan. Part of our plan has to do with the magic question: “go natural or hello drugs”? My wife and I have thought long and hard about it… we decided on natural until it hurts so much that we need an epidural. Until today, I have only spoken about the epidural. I have only demonstrated the ability to throw out statements like: “so once the epidural is in you will not feel anything making the labor process…easier right”. Oh how naïve have I been. Today, my friends our beloved physician showed us the “epidural needle”. I kid you not, 7 or 8 inches. This thing was long and thick. At this point, my stomach literally turned inside out. After our session with the doc., I found a new level of love and admiration for my wife. Because, if I were in her shoes… I would be too much of a PU### to go through with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your thoughts